Monday, September 19, 2016

Disability in Epic Fantasy

Disability in Fantasy: Questions to Consider


Disabilities aren't too common in many epic fantasies and science fiction, though I see them often in the form of characters losing limbs (hands seem to be a common theme...looking at you, Star Wars). Here are some things to think about when creating your characters.


There aren't too many characters with disabilities in popular sci fi/fantasy, with perhaps the exception of Bran from A Song of Ice and Fire:


And don't forget Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender:



I'm writing this post because disability in epic fantasy ended up becoming a central theme in my own story, Numinous. This came about naturally as I built my magic system and the society in which the story takes place.

This blog post is not intended to cover all disabilities and is meant to provide an overview of ideas to help shape your characters. For the purpose of this post I will use my own experience being hard-of-hearing.

1. Range of Disabilities 


Just like with everything else in this world, each and every single person is different. One person's experience does not equate to everyone's experience.

For example, I have worn a hearing aid all of my life, as I experience significant hearing loss in one ear. Because of my actual hearing range I have difficulty distinguishing single voices in a crowd of people, hearing whispers, and will not talk on the phone using my right ear. These little details such as these can make all the difference in the world when writing your characters.

Each range will require different research. Full on deafness is not the same as unilateral deafness,  and is not the same as being hard-of-hearing. Every person experiences something different, and so should your characters.

2. Actual Disability vs Metaphorical Disability 

First, you must choose whether to have physical (or mental) disabilities in your characters, or if you will use your fantasy setting as metaphor. For example, in my own story I have chosen the metaphorical disability route, however certain characters have actual disabilities given the context of the world I have placed them in.  This is not the same as giving them a traditional disability, however using the world, or magic, as metaphor can be useful for fleshing out your world.

3. How does your magic affect the disability? 

In my magic system the lack of magic is considered a disability by society. Physical disabilities--such as blindness or deafness--does not affect the characters, as the magic of the world equalizes them. Adding the element of magic should affect characters with disabilities in addition to those without, and it is up to you to decide how your magic system affects them.  

Questions to consider: 

  • Will my magic system enable characters with disabilities to participate in society without having stereotypes associated with them? Will my magic equalize them? 
  • Does a rule exist in my magic system that will affect their ability to use it? (ie only characters with certain disabilities are able to use the magic)

4. Do you intend the cure the character? 

This is crucial. Many times characters are cured of their disability, either as a deux ex machina or as the main plotline. Lost limbs in Star Wars are replaced with robotic arms. With fantasy and science fiction, many writers are able to write their characters out of a disability easily. This doesn't always have to happen!

Questions to consider: 

  • Is my character's disability part of the main plot-line? 
  • Does a rule in your magic system allow or disallow a cure? 
  • Does my character need to be cured?

5. Include Diverse Beta Readers

If you are able to, please include beta readers who are able to give you feedback if you do not have the experience yourself. It is up to you how to present the idea to the beta reader, and for me I prefer not to emphasize the theme of disability until the reader has finished the story.

Again, everyone has different experiences and opinions regarding disabilities. This is a topic that can be covered in an entirely different blog post. 

As my own work focuses on disability as metaphor, I did not have to focus my research on particular disabilities. However, I am and will continue to test my ideas with friends and readers, especially as I work in books 2 and 3 of my series.

Final Thoughts 

This is a topic that can be discussed in much greater detail, and I can't possibly hope to cover them all. Once my own novel is finished I hope to explore the topic of disability affected by magic systems, as that is a central theme.

Until then, I will continue looking for fiction that includes characters with disabilities. Have you read any books lately that feature characters with disabilities that you enjoyed? Do you have an opinion on my opinions? Say so in the comments!

Additional Resources: 


Writing Excuses 9.46: Disability in Narrative (Podcast)
This podcast explores writing disabilities in fiction (hosted by fantasy and sci fi writers) with a focus on blindness.


No comments:

Post a Comment